Netting [hole size] for fruit pest fly on the small fruit

Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)April 29, 2012

Last year I wrapped two bushes of the black currant with a fleece material or row cover, it worked wonderful but think I can improve on it with a small hole netting to improve light under the cover and air circulation.

Just wondering if any of you is using this and what min. hole size it should be?

I was thinking one could get what is commonly known as mosquito netting used in many countries when sleeping, could be bought fairly cheep I would think, ..but would it work for smaller flies? My wife thinks no.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I'd be thinking about the floating row cover material. That has very small holes and has a very good light environment underneath. There are several weights with corresponding light levels. I think it would keep out even those spotted wing fruit flies but could be wrong. It also comes in various widths.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 3:16PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Unless they come from the ground, and work their way up. If the affected fruit drops the larvae burrows under ground and then returns exiting the earth in the same vicinity where the fruit landed. It will help against fliers though. Maybe a vinegar trap in conjunction? They helped against the drosophila, but we were infested, and got there too late.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 4:57PM
suprneko(9b/sunset 16 NorCal, S. Bay)

Someone I know used tulle (bridal veil netting) last year on her cherry tree and she said it worked great against the cherry fruit fly. She stapled multiple lengths of the tulle together to make it wide enough to go over the tree, the tulle rips easy but she just staples it back together.

She spent about $40 on it, got it on sale at the fabric store.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 3:57AM
planatus(6)

I use a lot of tulle in the veg garden, and to keep birds from eating ripe berries. There are two types, and the slightly stretchy french tulle will last a bit longer but costs more. It has kept flea beetles off of eggplant, so pests that small can't get through it.

In terms of looks, you won't believe how much better olive green tulle looks compared to row cover. I've experimented with different colors, and olive green is the least obtrusive. I can easily hold a "bonnet" of tulle over a 6-foot tall blueberry bush by bunching it at the bottom and fastening it with clothespins.

First year experiment this year involves "bagging" apples in drawstring bags made from circles of tulle and thread. It looks way better than plastic bags, but it remains to be seen if it will work.

Here is a link that might be useful: tulle covers

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Restoring old and neglected apricot trees. Help!
We moved into a new home in the middle of last summer...
monibucky
Beach Plum / Prunus Maritima Cultivation Questions
Hello all! I scarified a handful of seeds from beach...
liamkelly Zone 6b Rhode Island / 5b Massachusetts
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Sponsored Products
Primula Flavor Now Beverage System
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
54 x 34 Stone Shower Base Gray Genuine Granite - SPACIUM
Living'ROC
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor FANMATS Rugs New Jersey Nets 5 ft. x 8 ft. Ulti-Mat
Home Depot
Swim Time Round Liner Pad for Above Ground Pools Multicolor - NL1520
$41.96 | Hayneedle
Tom Dixon | Bone Large Bowl
$280.00 | YLighting