Low chill-hours = Peach drop?

Randy31513(Georgia 8b)April 18, 2012

I am guessing here but what looked like a solid peach year on my best tree ended up with near nothing. The tree was full of blooms a few weeks ago since they opened after our severe freeze in February, Everything looked good until yesterday. A lot of the tiny peaches were gone yesterday and the rest were gone today with the exception of three or four. Our chill hours this year are only around 600 for this warm winter. That is way below normal

It could have been squirrels but in the past they have waited for the peaches to get near ripe. We are in a severe drought so they could be looking for moisture.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The few peaches I've seen that didn't get enough chilling had late sparse bloom and even later leafing. Both the bloom and leafing were prolonged. Many leaf buds didn't push. So if you had an early compact bloom, it probably wasn't lack of chilling.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 9:33PM
applenut_gw

I agree with fruitnut it doesn't sound like lack of chill; I'd vote for squirrels jumping on the limbs and knocking them off.

Applenut

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 11:33PM
Randy31513(Georgia 8b)

Thanks guys for the chill hour answer.

In the past years I have not had a problem with squirrels at this stage but with the drought may be pushing them. I will put out water for them to see if that helps.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 6:25AM
More Discussions
Where to buy Titan, Vernon, and Ochlockonee Blueberry plants?
I live in East Texas between DFW and Texarkana off...
sidpost
apple and cherry tree bark peeling
Is this a concern? Thanks in advance. Dan
Dan Liptak
Prime-Ark Freedom Chill Hours
For anyone wondering, Prime-Ark Freedom appears to...
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
Should i go ahead and put my newly grafted pear trees in the sun?
I did 4 cleft grafts last weekend and they have been...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™