Pear grafting

sonny44April 25, 2012

Can fruit pears be grafted on ornamental pears such as the Cleveland and others?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marknmt

Yes. And it will considerably improve the ornamentals, in my opinion ...

:-)M

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 4:00PM
lucky_p

Agreed.
Several years back, I taught a co-worker to graft, loaned her a grafting knife and gave her a mixed bag of fruiting pear scionwood. She grafted just about every branch that she could reach from the ground, in the 10-yr old 'Bradford'(or whatever it was) in her backyard. Her pre-school boys delighted in showing folks those random branches with big, tasy pears. But, eventually, the tree fell apart, as callerys are wont to do.

I'm constantly finding more and more 'volunteer' callery seedlings around my place, courtesy of the birds and the myriad 'ornamental' pears planted all over the countryside. I flag them and either graft in place for later transplanting, or dig them, transplant or pot up, and graft them over to fruiting varieties.
Some callery seedlings have pretty decent branch structure, early on in life, but I suspect that if left to their own devices, they'd assume the typical 'Bradford/Cleveland' habit, and eventually fall apart, so I try to make sure that the apical portion is replaced with a fruiting variety, and re-work lower branches that I leave in place fairly close to the trunk.
Have several large seedlings that I've grafted over to late-maturing Euro or EuroXsand pear hybrids to plant out on the farm as 'soft mast' trees for wildife.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 5:04PM
sonny44

Thanks Lucky,
lots of good info there.
-sonny

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Early varieties of blackberry
Hi all, Are there any varieties of blackberry that...
CaraRose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™