Sad image of snow...

Dan.NYApril 23, 2012

Check the image in the link here. It was taken this morning about a half mile from my orchard. Its very depressing. I cant imagine thigns are going to survive this.

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/dansvines/?action=view&current=ohno.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dan.NY

That link didnt work for some reason. This one is working though:

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/dansvines/?action=view&current=ohno.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 3:22PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Dan:

Does look ugly if there is fruit on those trees. But snow does not do direct damage, cold does. How cold do you expect and what stage are your trees?

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 3:25PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

At least the trees are not leafed out....leaves and wet snow are a bad combination.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 3:54PM
denninmi(8a)

Actually, I'd take a wet snow where temps stay near freezing over a 25 degree frost anytime, even with the risk of limb breakage factored in.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 4:45PM
mrsg47(7)

Dan, the picture says it all, unfortunately. My heart goes out to you. I am almost at loss for words. Hope it warms up there very soon and your trees will leaf out. Mrs. G

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 4:53PM
alan haigh

I wouldn't worry about a warm snow before trees leaf out. According to charts I've seen I shouldn't have much harvest to look forward to because of temps around 23 or so when peaches were almost in full bloom but the trees seem to have other ideas. Some of the fruit is filling out. I'm still hopeful of a decent crop of everything but cots. There's even a few of them sizing up.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 4:55PM
Edymnion(7a)

I see a few buds just barely starting to leaf out, but on a whole it looks like the tree is still mostly dormant. It should be fine. The buds it has right now will probably die, but it will make new ones quickly enough, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 10:22PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Not a problem when no leaf is out. Sometimes we get this mid/late May when trees have leaf,....you get lots of damage.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 12:46AM
Dan.NY

My Asian pear blossoms were totally opened up and getting close to petal fall. My bartlett was not quite totally opened, but small leaves and some opened blossoms. Apples ranged from half inch green to pink. Peaches were at petal fall. Grapes were lagging behind seriously and were at minimal bud swell which is good.

I am hoping for at least some apples from the later varieties. I think peaches and Asian pears are pretty much toast. I guess well see. Maybe a few bartlett may make it.

I am worried about all my new trees I put in this year as well. Everything was out of dormancy and had at least a small amount of leaves.

Temps according to weather channels was 35. I cant confirm if it was lower or higher, but I am guessing lower at my site. Town is usually some degrees higher.

Low temps this week are predicted to be 3-4 degrees above freezing with more snow.

Is anyone else getting this wonderful weather??

Dan

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
apple and cherry tree bark peeling
Is this a concern? Thanks in advance. Dan
Dan Liptak
Should i go ahead and put my newly grafted pear trees in the sun?
I did 4 cleft grafts last weekend and they have been...
tlbean2004
Help me choose fruit varieties to grow in NJ and nurseries
I have been reading some old posts regarding the fruit...
bemonkey Zone 7 South New Jersey
Methusala date palm reproduces
Judean date http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/tree-grown-2000-year-old-seed-has-reproduced-180954746/?utm_source=facebook.com&no-ist...
canadianplant
Sponsored Products
Drawing Room Walnut Wall Sconce
$49.50 | Bellacor
The Dark Knight Bat Bike FilmCell™ Bookmark
$7.99 | zulily
BlissLights Outdoor Lighting. 16 in. Blue Laser Landscape Projector/Firefly Land
Home Depot
LZF | Chou Floor Lamp
YLighting
DENY Designs Bird Ave College Cities Fleece Throw Blanket - 13577-FLELAR
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Cassara Outdoor Coffee Table Cover
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™