Best place for blueberry seeds?

gardenlaidyApril 15, 2013

I recently read this book called "Backyard Blueberries" on my kindle and I'm ready to start growing blueberries at home but I need a good place to buy the seeds from? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

If you want good blueberries you need to buy named cultivars as plants rather than seeds. I've never grown them so can't help you further I'm afraid.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 4:50PM
blueberryhillsfarm

flora is correct. If you want help you will need to provide more information. What zone are you in?

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 5:10PM
sjkly

I agree with the others.
It is possible to grow blueberries from seeds but, the germination rate is poor, you have to either get stratified seeds or do that yourself.
You can get seeds and try it but it will take a minimum of 2 years from seed to fruit and like I said the germination rate sucks-some people get 0%.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 5:26PM
ericwi

Blueberries are routinely grown from cuttings, sections of blueberry stem that are about 5 inches long. The cuttings are taken from blueberry shrubs in later winter or early spring. They are also called scions. There would be discussion of this topic on the propagation forum. There are seeds found in blueberry fruit, and these should be viable. A plant grow from seed would be genetically unique, and might be superior in some way, but it would take time and effort to prove that.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:01PM
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

The best thing to do would be to get some tissue culture plugs. They are very cheap and you wouldnt be out much money if you kill them. If you do grow them right you will have a very healthy plant the following spring with a small crop of berries. Im growing both cutting propigated blues and tissue culture blues. The TC plants are much more robust and sending out alot of canes from the base of the plant. IMO they are a superior plant after the first year of growth compared to a cutting plant. Havent grown seed plants but I dont see how they could even compair to a TC plant.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:42PM
More Discussions
Prime-Ark Freedom Chill Hours
For anyone wondering, Prime-Ark Freedom appears to...
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Bushwhacker Blood
Do grape scion wood have to been last year's growth?
I have a 8-10 yr old grapevine that never bear any...
Sara_in_philly
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
Sponsored Products
Hydro Systems Redondo 6918 Tub
Modern Bathroom
Titan Console
$3,199.00 | Horchow
Airis Indoor Wall Sconce
Lightology
Graphic Studio Stripe Duvet Cover
$159.99 | Dot & Bo
Elk Lighting Black Greyhound Bookends - 4-83032
$68.00 | Hayneedle