My First Blueberry

blueboy1977(TX9A/B)April 5, 2012

Okay, Im all stooked up now man!!! Just took a stroll through my blues and found a ripe blueberry;) It just turned color so Im gona leave it on the plant for a few days. It is Bountiful Blue and its the first to ripen in Houston Tx out of all the varieties that I have. Hopefully there will be plenty more to come!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Congratulations:) It is torture seeing that blueberry and telling yourself nope wait a few days.........lets see how long you last lol.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 4:56PM
Bradybb(wa8)

That's great blueboy.Now I see why two crops are possible there.The Blueberry flowers haven't even opened here yet. Brady

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 5:30PM
bennylafleur(6 E. Tn.)

Brady, it seems strange to me that you are apparently in zone 8 and your flowers are not opened, while I am in(or was) zone 6, and have berries on some plants that measure 3/8 inch. there are a few flowers on some bushes that have not opened yet. Any thoughts on what causes this?

Benny

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 9:24PM
Bradybb(wa8)

Benny,
I think the whole west coast is a few degrees below normal for this time of year,maybe La Nina,I'm not sure.We're just starting to approach 60F for a high.
These Zones I think are based on how cold the winter temperatures can get.
Some places in Texas are rated an 8,but they get much hotter usually than the Pacific Northwest does in the Summer. Brady

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 9:47PM
molex

My Jewel, Northland, Duke, Berkley and Coville are in full bloom, three other unknown and a Legacy and a Jaersey are about to open.

Ive got a few Carpenter bees nesting in my shed, they work the patch pretty well.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 10:58PM
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

So will 4 days be enough to sweeten up the berry? I know some say 4 days to a week. I also understand that can vary for different varieties. Anyone here fruited Bountiful Blue yet?

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 1:06AM
riverman1

That's sweet!!! The plants look great.

I'm still waiting for a leaf to show up on my plants, lol. Mine will probably look like this some time in July.

RM

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 11:06AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Sometimes it seems like TX is hotter in winter than the PNW is in summer, same zone. Zone tells you one point in many that go into making a climate.

I find it takes weeks after a berry turns color to really sweeten up. I've started tasting my unknown from FHN. The berries are huge and as expected soft. But they are sweet and better than I was expecting.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 11:33AM
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

Well thats good to hear Fruitnut! I came so close to picking that berry today. I tugged on it just alittle but it didnt want to come off yet so its gona hang out a few more days. Looks like Gulfcoast is next. The early formed berries have doubled in size the last few days! I dont think I can wait a couple weeks!

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 5:35PM
KristiePDX(8b, sunset 6)

I live in Portland Oregon. My Patriot blueberry has just a few open flowers and the rest are buds still. There are not many leaves yet either. My Reka, Chandler, and Bluecrop are still in the flower bud stages (not open at the end). My apples and pears are just shy of opening flowers and my peach finished flowering two weeks ago. No leaves on the apples and pears, tiny leaves on the peach.

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™