lots of little orange dots - what is it?

cousinfloydApril 13, 2012

This time of year I typically see fruits with lots of little orange dots covering a patch on one side of fruits, almost all of the wild serviceberries, many of the mayhaws, and I even saw a pear with the disease this year. Does anyone know what I'm seeing? What is it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Rust maybe?

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 4:38PM
sautesmom

Bug eggs?

Do you have a photo?

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 7:04PM
denninmi(8a)

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner on the first reply.

Amelanchier fruit rust, similar to Cedar Apple Rust. Junipers are the alternate host for this fungus as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a little blurb about it:

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 7:16PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

I hate it! I dont know if its because of all the wind this year or what but my Mr. Lincoln rose bush has it BAD for the first time. Along with my double delight with black spot! I never had such a problem with these diseases/fungus/bacteria WHATEVER. Its been so windy around here lately.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 1:45AM
cousinfloyd

Besides eliminating all the nearby red cedars, which isn't an option for me, are there any other cultural controls I can practice? Maybe I just need to replace the mayhaws with something that isn't susceptible to the rust, but they're just now getting big enough to yield a decent crop. Of course, if rust ruins the whole crop then it doesn't matter. (I'm not going to spray anything for the rust, especially not on mayhaws.)

Another question: does anyone know which species of serviceberries are and aren't (or don't seem to be) susceptible? I know the local, wild serviceberries are almost 100% ruined every year. One year maybe 5-10% were still edible, but mostly the rust takes right at 100%. The serviceberries I got from Hidden Springs -- I think they're A. alnifolia 'regent' -- don't seem to have any problems, though. I've wondered if some of Edible Landscaping's other serviceberries varieties might stand any chance of producing good fruit for me. I'd be interested if I had some reason to think they might not be like the wild ones (A. canadensis, I believe.)

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 12:15PM
denninmi(8a)

Cultural controls, not really. Either they are resistant to the fungus or not, not much you can do from a cultural perspective to change that. You can, of course, use a preventative spray treatment. The same basic spray program used for apples would work.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 12:49PM
cousinfloyd

Thank you for putting a name to the disease for me and for the link to the photo!

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™