Is it possible (likely) that these are blueberries

sjklyApril 16, 2013

So, for the last few years I have grown blueberries in containers.
Last fall I didn't clean out my containers where veges had been growing-been doing that this spring. In two of the containers close to where the blueberries are, I have what look like blueberry plants growing.
Tall canes off a low stem, I didn't pull them, I wanted to wait for them to leaf out-the leaves have opened now and they are identical to my berry bushes. Small oval leaves tinged with red.
I know it's possible but is it really likely that the blueberries propagated by seeds? Is it really that easy for them to spread?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Raw_Nature(5 OH)

I don't know man, thats unlikely.. A picture would help.. It is possible though, if the containers were kissing your bluerries and the blueberrys weighed down the stem and the stem tip rooted in your vegetables container? I found it very easy to propagate blueberries by cuttings.. It takes monthes for it to germinate by seed, very unlikely... Dont know what to tell you.. Wait it out, and take a picture.

Joe

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 5:20PM
sjkly

There were no canes tipping over and re rooting themselves-months to germinate by seed-well it would have had all winter.
Still, after reading how hard it is to propagate blueberries by seed I was a bit surprised myself. Let me see if I can figure out how to get a picture.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 5:42PM
Bradybb(wa8)

That happened to me last Fall.I saw a little plant growing a few inches away from a Blueberry plant in the ground.It is now in a small pot growing in my greenhouse. Brady

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 9:24PM
larry_gene

A related plant, V. ovatum, the evergreen huckleberry, readily reseeds.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 11:36PM
sjkly

I don't have any huckleberrys in the area.
I have become convinced that these are blueberries-they are identical to the known blueberry-if fact a leaf plucked from one plant is a perfect match for the other.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 8:30PM
larry_gene

I was using the huckleberry as an example to show that your blueberry could indeed reseed and grow.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:51PM
sjkly

Oh, I got confused.

The plants look more like blueberries everyday so I will leave them and see if next year I get berries.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™