Can't reach top of tree with Immunox spray -- OK?

jayco(5b NY)April 21, 2012

I just sprayed my apple tree today with Immunox against CAR. The tree has gotten quite tall and I was unable to reach the top to spray. As I understand it Immunox is systemic; so will it work all right despite that portion of the tree not having been sprayed?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

Unfortunately there are two separate definitions of systemic, one that a substance disperses throughout the system but the def that applies to myclobutanil is the alternate one that simply means penetrating the tissue directly beneath the surface where its sprayed. Why science hasn't come up with two separate words is beyond me- I'm just a dumb farmer.

Just prune the tree down to the reach of your sprayer, I say. Easier to manage anyway.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 5:07PM
ltilton

Or get a more powerful sprayer. I got a Gilmour hose-end sprayer that I use on the crabapples.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 5:30PM
Randy31513(Georgia 8b)

If you can find the right outside diameter copper tubing you can add several feet on to your wand or look around for a metal one and just use the same size copper tubing. That was in a County Extension agent article.

I keep the tops of my trees cut down to suit fit me and my sprayer.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 5:49PM
jayco(5b NY)

Thank you all, I will figure out one of these solution. Don't want to prune the tree down since I want it to get tall enough that the majority of the fruit will be out of reach of the deer, so it won't have to live behind a fence forever.

I guess if I can work out a way to pick the high fruit I can work out a way to spray the high branches!

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™