Whip and Tongue Viability

quillfredApril 18, 2012

I am wondering how long to give a couple of whip and tongue apple grafts. They were grafted third week of March and the temps have ranged between high 30sF - low 60sF. It has been a month since grafting.

The smaller-diameter apple grafts are putting out green buds while the larger winter-apple scions only show a tiny sliver of gray (and my older apples are tight bud phase now). I have not yet rubbed the rootstock buds off just in case. Do they still have a chance?

Also when is the best time to remove the rubberbands?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marknmt

Although usually a spring graft will push within a couple of weeks or even sooner I have had them take some weeks. I don't declare them dead until they shrivel.

In a couple of cases on apple I have had the buds fail to push but healing of the callus to take place anyway- and a dormant bud pushing the next year! These grafts don't shrivel, but they don't go anywhere either until the following year.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to pull the rubberbands, but if you feel a need to check under them you can. You can take a peek and replace the band.

Good luck,

Mark

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 5:55PM
JRG13

If the buds on the scion are still nice and "tight" and don't flex easily if you move them side to side with your finger you're ok. But if they flex side to side (like they have no turgor pressure) and feel spongy then redo them. That's how I typically check mine. If they take or not, they will usually push anyway with the stored energy they have available even if they don't fully open you should see some of them start to develop.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 6:11PM
quillfred

Thanks Mark and JRG13. Its good to know there is still hope. This experience reinforced the importance of a long sloping cut with larger diametered wood. I'm pretty sure the cambium contact is less secure with these. I will leave the bands alone as I removed a Lapins band too early last year, making for a fragile connection. I look forward to trying budding.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 12:59PM
marc5(6aOH)

You will find budding to be a piece of cake. It's easy to get 100% with apples. Chip or T, doesn't seem to matter. Try both and decide which is easier and more fun for you.

Marc

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™