Peach Tree Troubleshooting

Patrice123April 24, 2014

What is doing this to our young peach tree fruit every season and how do we fix it for next year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rayrose(8)

Without looking at the tree itself, I'd say it's either Bacterial Spot disease or Peach Leaf Curl Disease.
It would help, if you could post pictures of the tree and leaves, and tell us the variety and your location.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 6:13PM
Puggylover Zone 9B Norco, CA

To me that does not look like peach....where's the fuzz? Maybe a nectarine? Could it be thrips? it looks similar to my problem with my nectarines.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 6:22PM
letsski

Almost positive it is Thrip damage. See screen capture from UC Davis site showing Thrip damage on Peach and Nectarine.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 7:01PM
Patrice123

We purchased it from the nursery and it said it was peach, but maybe not. Here is a photo of the tree itself. If it is thrips what is the solution?

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 7:30PM
pharmachad

Spinosad. I never tried this, but have read
A little on it. Sounds pretty safe.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 9:39PM
curtis(5)

Off the topic at hand but maybe helpful in the future. Local nurseries mostly are buying bare root trees from places like stark bros and potting them, letting them grow a bit then sell to you. This process increases the cost and the chances of getting a mislabeled tree. But you gain nothing from it.

So next time cut out the middleman and buy bare root from stark, ACN, Raintree, or others mentioned on this forum

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 10:13AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Agree w/ cckw, a good reason to buy from a mail order nursery is the higher probability to receive the actual variety you purchased.

As Puggylover points out, your "peach" is actually some variety of nectarine. Peachlets have "fuzz" right out of the shuck.

This post was edited by olpea on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 10:56

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 10:52AM
letsski

First, yes, you have a Nectarine tree, not a Peach. As noted above, Peach fruit starts with fuzz and usually has a very pointed end when young.

Your best best is to spray a product like Spinosad when the fruit is just forming in the blossoms - you can see the small fruit inside the flowers. This is when the Thrip feeds and causes the scarring. Spraying once or twice is usually sufficient to take care of most of the damage.

Make sure you spray in the very late afternoon after all bee actively has ceased for the day as Spinosad is toxic to bees for about 3-4 hours after spraying.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™