Honeycrisp on Bud 9

franktank232(z5 WI)April 6, 2014

Anyone have this combo? Comments on it? I ordered 10 Bud 9 and my thinking is to graft them over to Honeycrisp (most of them), but i think I've read that there can be issues?

What can I expect with Bud 9 for maximum height?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mauch1(z6b PA)

Bud 9 grows about the same as M26. I have a number of grafts on Bud 9. On my soil (which tends towards the 'rich' side) apples grow 12-15 feet tall. There may be something new regarding HoneyCrisp and Bud 9, but the only thing I ever heard regarding HC is that it was a less vigorous variety and it was recommended to put it on a semi-dwarf rootstock. My HC (on M7 or M111 [don't remember which]) is about 20 to 25 feet tall. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 7:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OregonEd

My understanding is Bud 9 is a less vigorous rootstock than M26, but more vigorous that M27.

My experience is limited, as my few apple ees are too young still. I ordered two apple trees bare-root from Raintree this past year. One was HC on M26 and the other was Akane on M27. Both trees arrived the same size, height, caliper, etc. So assuming the trees were the same ago, I'd say HC is very low vigor.

My guess is HC on Bud9 will grow more like other varieties on M27. For fun I have also grafted a Bud9 rootstock to a HC scion. If you give me a few years I will let you know how it does :)

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™