O'Neal Blueberries

MrClintApril 15, 2012

I'm a huge fan now of O'Neal Blueberries. These berries are sweet, large and very juicy. Love the earliness too. You can buy them at just about garden center here in So Cal. Can't say enough good things about them - really great flavor. They might be emerging as my favorites.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

Thanks mrclint,
They are sold at a few nurseries here in Washington.I was wondering about them,they don't seem to get much press on this forum. Brady

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 6:59PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

There are definitely fans of it here, maybe not recently but I recall past discussions on it. I have O'Neal and its one of my better varieties.

Scott

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 8:11PM
MrClint

Yeah, there is a major case of "rarer being better" on a number of message boards. Tomato growers have this disease in spades. Many of the standard varieties are standards because they are really good and reliable. For fruit - Wonderful pomegranate, Mission fig & O'Neal BB come quickly to mind. You have to snicker a little at the pattern of locating a hard to find variety and then singing its praises. Then you watch folks scurry to find it. Earlier or later varieties that extend the season are always worth chasing down, but maybe not so much for trendy conversation pieces.

If you have another early BB such as Misty to help with pollination, O'Neal should do well for you. But we know all BB do better with other varieties that bloom at the same time.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 12:11PM
cousinfloyd

I just planted an O'Neal. It's the only southern highbush type I have, but I have lots of rabbiteyes. Will the rabbiteyes pollinate the O'Neal?

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 12:21PM
MrClint

"Will the rabbiteyes pollinate the O'Neal?"

It's hard to say for sure. See the link below and draw your own conclusions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rabbit Eye and Highbush Blueberries Crosspollinate

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 3:52PM
bennylafleur(6 E. Tn.)

I have about 10 O'Neal and really like them. They ripen 2-3 weeks ahead of my earliest Rabbiteye, which is Climax in a normal spring. The O'Neal are light bearers, so I am not sure if the Rabbiteyes pollinate them, of if I would be better off with another Southern Highbush to pollinate them.
My latest ripening are Powderblue and Onslow, with Onslow being slightly later.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™