Delayed bud break - apple trees

txdurkApril 5, 2014

I have 3 apple trees that seem to have been stuck in dormancy. My wife and I bought one Dorsett Golden and two Anna apples 3-4 years ago (I think) for our side yard where we lost 8-9 oak trees to drought the year before. The trees were 2' twigs and the only bud break we 've seen have been suckers and two leaves on the Dorsett. �Both varieties are low chill and I'm pretty sure there were enough chill hours over each of the two previous winters. Looking at them they appeared dead except the leader was flexible and a scratch test showed some green. They remain about 2' still today. This year I decided I waited long enough and ordered a Fuji, a Gala, and a Pink Lady to replace them. Of course, as soon as I placed the order the original 3 trees decided to break hibernation. Grrr. �My question: is a ~3 year hibernation even possible?�

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

No, not possible. They must have had some leaves or they'd be dead. Both require almost no chilling so that's not the issue.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 6:32PM
txdurk

The Dorsett had a couple leaves and the Dorsett and one Anna had a couple of suckers. Other than that I can't recall seeing any leaves at all.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 6:43PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Apples require a lot of water in TX. Also some fertilizer depending on your soil. Water and nitrogen should make them grow. Without water they'll be like the oak trees. In fact native oaks are much more drought tolerant.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 6:55PM
txdurk

I've pretty much neglected them in the past. Now I'm planting a home orchard over a 1/2 acre side yard so I'll be paying them more mind. In fact I recently gave each a handful of organic Citrus Tone fertilizer. With the Spring rains that must have sparked a positive reaction.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Bushwhacker Blood
Lime Sulphur spray--I feel like I was just robbed by Hi-yield
I have no idea why Hi-yield (or maybe it's the sellers)...
dave_7b
Thinning Pears
I have several varieties of pear trees (Bartlett, Comics,...
walterdavidwilson
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Sponsored Products
RenWil Red-Eye Tree Frog I Wall art
Beyond Stores
Canadian Spa Company Hot Tubs & Accessories 8 ft. Spa Cover Guard CSCCC8FT
$64.95 | Home Depot
Birch Tree Natural Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Pine Forest Door Mat and Runner
Grandin Road
Chintaly Kyra Laser Cut Back Memory Swivel Counter Stool - Brushed Nickel Multic
$303.82 | Hayneedle
Silk Road Black and Ivory Rectangular: 3 Ft. x 5 Ft. Rug
$203.95 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™