Pruning and starting this grape vine

ack01April 17, 2013

So here is my first grape vine. I plan to prune everthing off of it except the tallest shoot I will than attach it to my trellis and if it touches the wire, I will tip it above the second bud. The trellis I am making is only to get me by this year. I am going to use t-post and rebar wire(stuff I already own) to string it up about 4 feet off the ground. Next year when I have more money and time I plan to use the standard 4x6 post with galvanized wire. I am hopping I can move it from one wire to another with out many problems. If anyone see any flaws in my logic please point them out hehe.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Since you will have a temporary trellis you might want to just let it establish roots this year and make a trunk/canes next year. To do that leave all shoots and leaves this year to allow maximum root growth. Then next year cut off low and train the strongest shoot up the trellis. This option won't make fruit next year. But would maximize the crop in 2015.

But I also might try to make a crop in 2014. It will be small but your plan would hold out that option.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™