Rabbit ate my Cherry Tree. :(

party_music50April 4, 2013

Hello all -- first time finding this forum. I was just out surveying the yard after some snow melt and found my cherry tree all chomped up. I planted it in 2010 and obviously made a mistake when I removed all the caging this autumn. :( Every branch that's about 1/2" diameter or less has been cut off at a sharp angle, so I assume the rabbits did it when the snow was deep. It didn't leave me much tree.... basically the main stem, two branches off of it (forked), and maybe another piece or two here and there. What's left is only about 3 feet tall.

Is the tree useless at this point?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

Nope...as long as it left buds above the graft line (if you can see it), you're fine...it will grow back. You basically just pruned it. You'll not see many (or any) fruits this year, but you'd be ok. It might look ugly now, but if you shape it as it grows (it will grow a lot), you can have a good looking tree again.

I chop trees back to just small 3 ft stubs all the time (did a bunch of peaches this year), and just left a few buds that i had placed... it just lets more energy go to those buds.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
party_music50

oh, wow, that's great news franktank. Thanks so much!

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™