pear scion on Bradford.

daemon2525(5)April 20, 2012

I won't use the original post. It was called "Save an old pear tree". It is a very long thread that does not need to be at the top of the list. However I wanted to show everyone that I got 2 scions from an old pear tree from my moms farm to grow on a Bradford pear in my yard.

I did not have proper grafting supplies. I used wax from a toilet bowl ring and strips of plastic from a bag meant to keep my Sunday paper dry.

I don't know if it will live forever, but at least it started!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marknmt

You done good, so I would say you used proper supplies!

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 7:38PM
olympia_gardener(5)

I know someone grafted an Asian pear Scion onto Bradford tree and produced bigger Asian pears.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 8:19PM
marc5(6aOH)

Daemon, nice work. You should replace every branch with scionwood, so that Bradford doesn't escape and become invasive, which is now happening all over our region.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 12:02AM
copingwithclay

Note to self: Add wax ring and newspaper bag to duct tape and bailing wire in tool box.......Marc5's words really are good counsel. Picking various other similarly-sized Bradford branches to graft and clipping off everything else would be a great way to have a complete conversion. Happy to see you had an "I can do this!!" grafting experience.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 8:16AM
tedgrowsit(6b PA)

Congratulations on the successful grafting. I did the same thing a few years ago. I converted a bradford to a comice by grafting onto a ground level watersprout or rootsucker. Later on I just chopped the tree down and left the graft grow. Now I have a 12 foot pear tree that is useful and desirable instead of a lawn ornament. Ted

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 12:21PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

That's awesome. I have been practicing different types of grafts redressing neighbor's and friends crabapples and grafting/ budding pollinators onto pears. I had the opportunity to perform bridge grafts on 2 trees that were girdled. I used a whisp from a suckers. So far so good.
I'm waiting on my rootstock order to come in. 25 OHF97, 25Bet, 25 Krymsk1, and 10 M111. The only question is...Should I chip bud/saddle graft them first, then plant? Sounds like less of a back breaker.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 8:57AM
daemon2525(5)

Noogy,
Although I started the thread, I'll assume that you are asking the other folks if you should chip bud them first because I am no expert! LOL! this is the first try for me.

I don't even know what I did is called. I made a "V" notch in the tree part and the opposite "V" on the scion.
I did match them "perfectly". Maybe that is why it took me 2 hours and several trys to get it right.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™