Wild raspberry identification?

tigergirl123April 17, 2012

We moved into a new home last year and during the summer we had an awful wall as high as the phone lines of weeds, vines, dead trees etc on one side of our property. The only good thing to come out of the mess were some wild raspberry plants! Last fall we cleared everything out. This spring, before we go any further, I want to see if I can identify the raspberry bushes, or if what I think are raspberries are really thorny weeds.

Anyone have any pictures of raspberry plants coming up in the spring? The things I am wondering about have very hairy reddish "canes" coming up, green leaves that have jagged edges and are very "bumpy" / veiny, not smooth.

If I can figure out how to post pics on here, I will.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

The hairy reddish canes indicates wineberries. They are not raspberries, but they taste good. Your leaf description matches. Type wineberry into Google image search and you should get a better idea if you have a match.

Scott

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 7:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ikea_gw

Sounds like wineberry. They are Japanese raspberries that have naturalized in eastern US. Regarded as invasive as it will run like all raspberries but I don't find them hard to contain. The fruits ripe at the same time as my blackberries and they are very tasty for fresh eating or baking. You won't find the fruits at markets because they don't store well. They fruit on second year canes so if you cleared everything off last year you won't get any this year. But if you let the new growth grow out this year you will have berries next summer.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™