Can new transplants take a freeze?

ken_platt(z5/6 CT)April 27, 2012

Folks - I've got 6 apple and 4 peach trees newly transplanted in the last few weeks. The apples are just starting to leaf out, the peaches mostly are still just sticks, one just has the beginnings of leaf buds starting.

We've got a freeze coming tonight - do I need to try to cover them up? Or will this not bother them? Thanks for the help -

Ken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Ken:

I've never seen serious damage under those conditions. It would have to get seriously cold to make me worry, like low 20s to teens. Now if the trees were pushed into rapid growth for some reason prior to or after planting it might be another matter.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 7:21PM
ken_platt(z5/6 CT)

Thanks. I put in a lot of work (not to mention the $$) the past few weeks.

I actually ended up trying to cover some of the trees; I had cages around them, so I tried putting tarps, plastic bags, whatnot, onto the cages, but it was so windy that the dang thing were getting blown over, so I stopped. I figure getting knocked around was likely to be as damaging as the cold...

Ken

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 11:13AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

tx based fruitnut is overly optimistic for a FREEZE ... as compared to frost ...

i am glad you tried to cover them.. better the effort.. rather than the guilt of leaving it to the whims of mother nature ...

this week in MI.. we have had forecasts into the mid 20's.. we arent talking frost.. we are talking FREEZE potential ... and nothing green will appreciate that ...

i dont think we got that low ... but as i said.. better to 'try' rather than not ...

ken

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 12:07PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

ken:

West Texas gets way more damaging spring freezes than MI. I've been through many dozens. Not trying to be a know it all here but that's the facts. And I grew up and was educated in IL and IN.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™