Looks like we made it!

Noogy(6 sw mi)April 3, 2014

HEY! My figs are budding! After putting them into the detached garage late November and having lows down to -12 outside, I'm surprised to see new growth. I thought for sure they were mostly freeze toasted. Stella, Chicago, lsu gold, brazeri, Maseile vs black, all pushin'

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Congratulations Noogy:) I'm sure it was a relief. Those figs are addicting, over 200 varieties now lol.

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 7:49AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

My in-ground figs look like toast. I expect they will all be starting over from the roots this year, and I likely lost the most recent additions. I could have saved the little ones if I took the ten minutes to cover them, but I got lulled into complacency by all the mild winters we have had.

Scott

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 8:23AM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

A lot of people in the north will have to start over. Guess the people that grow in pots and garage store had the right idea.

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 8:31AM
shazaam(NC 7B)

That's impressive, Noogy -- I'm sure that it was quite a relief to see those green tips! We had lows in the 8-10 range several times here in NC, and I've noticed some damage on some of my in ground figs that I didn't protect. The ones that I did take the time to bundle up appear to have come through OK, so it was definitely time well spent. My assortment of potted figs got several extra degrees of protection under a frost blanket, and that seemed to be all they needed -- they're a few weeks ahead of my in ground plants and are just starting to leaf out. So far, none show any obvious signs of die back.

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 12:42PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

My garage trees all did great (pluots, peaches, plums, etc)....now the outside trees should be a different situation. I think i can already tell i've got a lot of damage.

Amazing what a garage can accomplish. Must be a combination of no sun (at least in mine), no wind and slightly warmer temps (mine is unheated and is leaky...i plan on tightening it up a lot this summer).

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 12:43PM
mrsg47(7)

Noogs this is great news! I'll send you peaches if you send me figs. Mrs. G :+)

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 6:58PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Mrs. G,
Sounds good to me! I also really want to try some american persimmons after having ordered a bunch. How was your Raja this year?

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 7:55AM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™