apple tree

shiflett104April 30, 2012

Hi i am new and have a question that can probably be easily anwered. I planted and apple seed from a red delicious. I have been growing it for about 2-3 months and its about 2 to 3 inches tall. I was under the assumtion that you could plant an apple seed and it would produce the same quality apples that the seed came from. I have been reading into it lately and have read about grafting the root stock to a branch of an older tree already producing fruit to get the kind of apples you want. Is that all that there is to it? And also how long should i wait to graft it to another? And one more question, when should i plant the tree this year or wait, it is in a pot right now and i have had it outside since the frost stopped. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

I was under the assumtion that you could plant an apple seed and it would produce the same quality apples that the seed came from.

==>> this is wrong ... maybe.. maybe not.. the genetics involved seems to indicate the odds are very low ..

but your seedling could be used as understock.. if you got a piece of a good PROVEN apple ..

ken

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 7:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenn_russell(6b RI)

Just like our children are different from us, your seedling is different from it's parents. (Notice the "s" in "parents". It is intentional. Most apples require 2 different varieties for pollination) Unfortunately the chances of your seedling having good quality apples is very very low. Additionally, your seedling will grow to be a very large (full size) tree and take many years to produce fruit. This is why apple trees are usually propagated by grafting: Identical fruit, control over the size of the tree (depends on rootstock), and dwarf/semi dwarf trees produce fruit much sooner.
As for doing the grafting, that's a whole other subject. There are a lot of great videos on YouTube that might be helpful. Search under "Apple grafting" to get started.
-Glenn

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™