apple tree

shiflett104April 30, 2012

Hi i am new and have a question that can probably be easily anwered. I planted and apple seed from a red delicious. I have been growing it for about 2-3 months and its about 2 to 3 inches tall. I was under the assumtion that you could plant an apple seed and it would produce the same quality apples that the seed came from. I have been reading into it lately and have read about grafting the root stock to a branch of an older tree already producing fruit to get the kind of apples you want. Is that all that there is to it? And also how long should i wait to graft it to another? And one more question, when should i plant the tree this year or wait, it is in a pot right now and i have had it outside since the frost stopped. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

I was under the assumtion that you could plant an apple seed and it would produce the same quality apples that the seed came from.

==>> this is wrong ... maybe.. maybe not.. the genetics involved seems to indicate the odds are very low ..

but your seedling could be used as understock.. if you got a piece of a good PROVEN apple ..

ken

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 7:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenn_russell(6b RI)

Just like our children are different from us, your seedling is different from it's parents. (Notice the "s" in "parents". It is intentional. Most apples require 2 different varieties for pollination) Unfortunately the chances of your seedling having good quality apples is very very low. Additionally, your seedling will grow to be a very large (full size) tree and take many years to produce fruit. This is why apple trees are usually propagated by grafting: Identical fruit, control over the size of the tree (depends on rootstock), and dwarf/semi dwarf trees produce fruit much sooner.
As for doing the grafting, that's a whole other subject. There are a lot of great videos on YouTube that might be helpful. Search under "Apple grafting" to get started.
-Glenn

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
Jujube plants from roger
I would like to have jujube shanxi li. I know roger...
bunti
Carmine Jewel
So I've been fretting about my Early Richmond for a...
iowajer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™