Did I just ruin my fruit trees with Miracle Gro All Purpose??

OmniApril 18, 2014

So I got a bit too excited for this year's growing season. I was reading up on how to fertilize and most sources said that with a tree that's in the ground for approximately 3 years, you want to use 1 lb of fertilizer at the beginning of the growing season and another pound in the middle of the growing season. Now, not researching too much on which fertilizer it was talking about, I ended up using the Miracle Gro variety that I have in my shed. It's the one that has a box with 10 bags inside, intended for plants and vegetables. It has a blue color to it. I used 1lb of it for the older and bigger peach tree, and about 1/2 lbs for the younger peach tree and apple tree. Is this okay, or is the 1 pound of weight intended ONLY for dry granular fertilizers?

Is this bad for the tree?

I'm not 100% what the breakdown of N-P-K is. I couldn't find it in the box. On the website, there is no matching box but of the two that look similar, the break down is 18-18-21 and 24-8-16.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Voyage034(USDA 10a Sunset 23)

Your trees will be fine. By putting a pound of product down you ended up with about a fifth of a pound of nitrogen.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 12:05AM
curtis(5)

Just a general FYI: I have read this forum nearly every day for almost two years. I have read many posts of fertilizer damage to young trees, but almost none where fertilizer was the solution.

the only time(s) fertilizer was needed was in really bad soil.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 10:15AM
alan haigh

Some form of nitrogen will generally help trees in average soil establish more quickly, but a quarter pound of actual N. for a small tree could be damaging to the tender roots, I'm guessing. However, I am not speaking from the experience of this particular mistake- I have only damaged more sensitive plants with surface applications of excessive N- never fruit trees.

Depends in part on texture of soil, in sandy soil your are more likely to scorch the roots- especially if the tree isn't mulched. Heavy watering can leach out the fertilizer in a hurry.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 10:58AM
More Discussions
Help, fuzzy scion wood
Hi all, I got apple scions from ARS last week and was...
zendog
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
Getting rid of grape vines.
Is there something other than using a chemical to get...
marylmi
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Sponsored Products
Lite Source Bama Dark Bronze Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
New Ivory Chobi Peshawar 8' Square Hand Made Authentic Pakistani Wool Rug H3817
BH Sun Inc
Trees in Winter Oval Ceramic Table Lamp by The Natural Light
Lamps Plus
All-Purpose Bamboo Knife
$12.99 | Dot & Bo
Palm Tree Pilsners
Classic Hostess