super-sizing rootstocks?

cousinfloydApril 18, 2012

I was just wondering if trees always grow biggest on their own roots or whether there's ever such a thing as the opposite of a dwarfing rootstock, i.e. a super-sizing rootstock? I'd assume since I've only ever heard of standard and various degrees of dwarfing that that's all there is, but I wanted to ask, just in case. I was specifically wondering about grafting Amelanchier alnifolia onto A. canadensis (assuming they're even graft compatible.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marknmt

Interesting question. I know that I grafted a Flemish Beauty pear on top of a Bartlett and the FB has faithfully tried to overgrow the Bartlett ever since. (No idea what the Bartlett was grafted to.)

So what happened to so invigorate the FB? Or, is the FB just such an easy keeper that it would take off on just about anything?

I know even less about amelanchier than almost anything else, so I'll duck that issue altogether.

Good luck,

M

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 10:35PM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Apricots on peach roots will have more vigor than apricots on standard apricot roots.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 10:33AM
lucky_p

e,
I suspect graft compatibility is pretty good across Amelanchier.
I've grafted A.x grandiflora onto A.alnifolia with success.
Had a northern fruit growing acquaintance who was doing a bit of experimentation, years ago, grafting apple onto Amelanchier, hoping for a dependable cold-hardy dwarfing rootstock/fruiting combination, but I've not heard from him on how this worked out.

Don't know how a 'tree-type' alnifolia would work - or if it would work. Perhaps if it's prevented from spreading by suckering, alnifolia would attain greater height. Give it a try, and report back.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 11:03AM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™