New peach tree question

chellestar83April 11, 2013

I am brand new to fruit trees, so i'm hoping someone can help me out. I planted two peach trees earlier this spring (bareroot) and pruned them to an open vase shape with three or four good lateral branches. Now everything is starting to leaf out (yah) but there are lots of leaf buds coming from the trunk below my first level of scaffolding. Should I pinch these off? And should I do it now? Thanks! Also, any other advise you'd like to offer, I'm glad to hear it. I am attempting to grow organically/permaculturally.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olpea(zone 6 KS)

"but there are lots of leaf buds coming from the trunk below my first level of scaffolding."

That's not unusual. It's fine to rub off any unwanted buds where you don't want them. If not, they will grow and you can always prune them off later. One advantage to rubbing off unwanted buds is that it directs more growth to where you want it.

Make sure your scaffolds are where you want them before you rub the buds off. Unless you plan to attach flashing to the trunk for squirrel control, you want to start your scaffolds pretty low, if you want a tree you can harvest, thin, and prune without a ladder.

The homeowners around here don't use flashing, yet they start their scaffolds too high for good pedestrian trees.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™