Help - Why does my peach tree trunk look nasty?

laagarden(5)April 4, 2010

So today I was so excited because for the first time we're getting flowers on our peach tree and it looks beautiful until my husband dug around the tree so we could fertilize and mulch and look what we found...........................................

what is this???????????????????????????????

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac195/laagarden/peachtree001.jpg

Thanks,

laagarden

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcstoehr

It looks to me like some sort of boring insect/beetle has invaded your tree trunk. There seems to be little holes in your picture characteristic of borers. Although I cannot be certain. Take a look below this area and see if you can find anything that looks like sawdust. If so, that you can be pretty sure it's borers.

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 7:42PM
warren4321

You need to take care of the infestation ASAP before the tree dies. Although I can't give you advice on what pesticides to use, I can personally tell you that when that happens to my trees, I take no chances and spray a mixture of sevin, permethrin, and malathion into the affected area as deeply as the liquid will go, drenching it multiple times per day for a week, and pray that the bugs haven't killed the tree yet.

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 12:17AM
mike2001

I hate to see that. I lost an apple and peach tree last years due to it being girdled by disease. Take a knife and cut the damaged bark back to see if it has borer holes in it. If not it could be Cytospora canker. This is what got my trees. The one thing I do not see that a peach has with this disease is oozing amber jelly like goo. It may be to early though for it to start as it does it during the growth period. It will also ooze in areas on other parts of the tree as well. Oh and be sure to clean the knife with bleach or rubbing alcohol after using it on the tree to prevent spreading it. Unfortunately by the amount of damage it looks like it will be hard to save the tree.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 3:36AM
More Discussions
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™