What can I graft onto a old Cherry tree ???

dawgdrvr(7B)April 21, 2012

Hi all , I have 3 old pie cherry trees that don't produce much in the way of edible cherries . Every June we get hundreds of tiny tart cherries and the birds won't even eat them off the trees . We inherited them when we bought our place . The wife says if they don't produce a decent tasting cherry again this year she want's them gone. I really do not want to cut them down next winter.

What I would like to do is Graft something onto the trees . plum maybe ,I know they are both Prunus . but are they compatible? Any advise on what cultivars will take to being grafted on cherry stock ?

Thanks

Cody

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

No plum,.. I would cut them down really good now, branches like a foot or so down to the main trunk this year. Let them grow new wood [water sprouts] and graft next spring onto these about 10 inches out. Any good pie and sweet cherries, you could get a instant 10 variety going next year.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 8:35PM
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

I would suggest same as konrad -- cut branches way way back to about a foot from the trunk, allow new sprouts to come out of the "stumps" this season, then next spring try grafting some good tasting varieties to the sprouts. The tree will look goofy for a few years, but after 6 or 7 years it will look almost normal again and you'll have a great crop of great tasting cherries of whatever varieties you like. There are a lot of good online resources about how to do this. Look up stephenhayesuk on YouTube as I know he's got more than one video about "grafting over" an old tree (in his case it's with apples but the concept for cherries is the same).

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 6:20PM
Edymnion(7a)

Agreed.

Your trees are well established, use them for grafting hosts. Has to be other types of cherry, but you could go hog wild and graft as many types of cherry branch to them as you can get your hands on. Have a veritable cherry fruit salad tree.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 10:32PM
skyjs(z8 OR, USA)

Pie cherry trees are good for whip and tongue grafting as well as budding in the summer. If you don't like Montmorency, you could graft on sweet cherry. I have read warnings about this, but I dont know if I believe them. IT is a different species.
John S
PDX OR

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 12:01AM
More Discussions
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™