malathion

treenutt(8)April 12, 2012

In yalls opinion will malathion 50% (Spectracide) get rid of plum curculio? I dont believe they are dropping their eggs just yet but are making small holes into my peaches that are causing them to ooze. My county extension agent suggested it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Randy31513(Georgia 8b)

Do a google search on home orchard pesticide effectiveness. There is a good table to go by out there.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 7:22AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Treenutt,

Malathion offers poor control for curculio. There is a product by Spectracide called Triazicide Once and Done concentrate. It is available in big box stores (Walmart, Home Depot, etc.) It will provide a much higher level of control.

There are different formulations, so make sure the one you get is labeled for fruits. It will mention fruits on the front of the bottle.

Ortho Flower, Fruit and Vegetable concentrate is another option that would provide some control for plum curc. (see second link below).

Here is a recent thread where a Home Orchard Spray guide was discussed:

Interactive Home Orchard Spray Guide

Here is a link that might be useful: Glenn - Has Purdue been reading your posts?

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 10:04AM
thomis(7)

Ditto. I despise Malathion. Not only was it not effective for PC, but it leaked out through the brown plastic bottle and that part of my shed wreaks of the smell of Malathion and has for 3 years now. I'm currently using the Triazicide olpea mentioned from lowe's and it seems to be about 60 - 80% effective on PC depending on your timing of application. This spring is seriously funky so I just applied my first spray of Triazicide. I hope for the best. Good luck to you.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 9:01PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Someone told me that this works very good. I have not tried it though

http://www.garden.com/item/surround-wp/G23785/?srccode=CJgarden&intid=CJGARDEN&ref=cj#Reviews

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 1:32AM
treenutt(8)

thanks a bunch for yalls input. Just the kind of answers I was looking for. Was gonna spray today but it looks like the wind beat me. Thanks again.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 9:17AM
More Discussions
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™