cherry tree - how much to prune

jollyrd(Richmond VA)April 6, 2013

This is a 5 yr old fruiting Cherry Montmorency. I pruned it to what I think is 'good enough'. Do you think I should prune more? should the thin branches on very top be cut? should any of the medium size branches be taken out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jollyrd(Richmond VA)

here is a picture from another direction -- as you can see, the tree is growing branches directed sideway towards north (weird as it may sound).

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 7:44PM
jollyrd(Richmond VA)

and here are the top branches

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 7:46PM
bencjedi(6 - Central Kentucky)

I just leave all the tiny branches inside the inner 'core' of the canapy and lob off the thickest, tallest parts at the very top. I'm 6ft 2in and if I can't reach up and touch the top of the tree on my tippy toes off the ground then I cut it. Seems to have worked pretty good the last few years. My Montmorency has been in the ground 4 years now.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 10:35PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

In my opinion, there really isn't a wrong way to prune...to me its all trial and error... if i take off too much, oh well..it will grow back...I was pruning today... For my sweet cherries, which are on gisela 5...i pruned that back to around 8ft or so, just so i can net them easier...i also removed a couple of thicker branches... With cherries, if you want fruit in my yard, you have to net..and in that case i keep them small... I'd love to chop them off at about 3 feet and ufo them, but i hate to lose out on fruit for a year or 2... With most of my trees this year, i've thinned the centers (more open)...just because pests seem to concentrate on the interior (beetles/curculio) and its a little harder to get spray in there...plus more light gets inside (dries it out faster/ripening)... we'll see...

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™