Blackberries & RedBerry Mite - Soybean Oil help

scuzzynuttyApril 16, 2013

Hi, I have a great thornless black berry plant that produces a lot of large fruit. The past 2 years, i believe it's been infected with RedBerry Mites, and 50% of the crop is wasted. I want to control it this year.

I read that Golden Pest Spray Oil is a good oil to get, it seems really expensive though, and I'm not sure where to get it locally, so the shipping costs don't help.

I read that Golden Pest Spray Oil is 93% soybean oil and 7% inactive ingredients. What if I just buy soybean oil from the supermarket and use that diluted with water (although i don't know the proportion).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

That stuff is supposed to be diluted to about 2% and is best used as a dormant or leaf-budding stage spray to smother overwintering adults or eggs. Once the adults are on the move in a leafed-out berry patch, control will be difficult.

Whatever you do, test it first on a small portion of your berry plants if there is already significant new growth.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 11:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

You can use many insecticides on blackberries, but it isn't organic. That does not mean they are toxic. Many organics are extremely toxic! Many chemical sprays breakdown fast, read the label! Stark Brothers has these suggestions for blackberries:
At the First Sign of:
â Bonideî Captain JackâÂÂs⢠Deadbug Brew for fruitworms, thrips, leafrollers and more.
â Bonideî Citrus, Fruit & Nut Orchard Spray for aphids, mites, blight, thrips, powdery mildew, rust and more.
â Bonideî Thuricideî Bacillus Thuringiensis (BT) for omnivorus leafroller.
â GardenTechî Sevinî Concentrate Bug Killer for aphids, fruitworms, Japanese beetles, mites, rose chafer, leafrollers and more.
â Bayer Advanced⢠Complete Insect Killer for aphids, mites, leafrollers, fruitworms, Japanese beetles, rose chafer and more.

I would still test any product on a small area first.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 2:14

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 2:11AM
More Discussions
Crabapple tree with large apples - which one?
Hello all, When my son was stationed in Newport RI...
dancinglemons
Blueberry leaves turning brown
The leaves of one of my southern highbush (Snowchaser...
julia_scheidt
Can I prevent Fire Blight the way I prevent Peach Leaf Curl?
Okay, so it's pretty easy to prevent peach leaf curl....
frostygardener
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™