Dragon Fruit trellis

ack01April 8, 2013

Funny story. So about about a year ago a huge limb fell off of one of my large oak trees. It had a massive catuis vine growing so thick that the weight of it snapped the limb. There must have been about 15 cubic yards of this catuis. It took me and my girlfriend 2 weeks to clean up. After we finally got it to the street people came from every where to get cuttings. I thought they were crazy! after seening a small tig of the stuff sell at homedepot for $30, I am guessing I threw away about 30 grand lol. Anyway I thought I need to try to grow some my self. My plan is to use pvc pipes wrapped in burlap to let the plant climb. I am going to run a fence rail across the top of each pvc pipe to make it more stable and allow the plant to grow along it. I also plan to put a ring of 5ft horse pannel around each pvc pipe to support it's growth. the only reason I am doing it this way is because I have all the matrial in my scrap pile :). Does this sound like a good Idea? any other ideas for the trellis?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamuang_gw

I've seen it's supported by either wooden and concreate poles. Don't know how well a PVC pipe pole could support the weigth of the vine. It can be enormous. Also, I've heard that if you allow it to grow up to 7' or taller, it won't flower or fruit. The dragon fruit farm I visited in the tropic used 5' concrete poles.

Don't know where you are, hopefully somewhere where it is hot and humid. It seems to grow easily in the tropic.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 8:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Edymnion(7a)

Use thick walled PVC and you should be fine. Instead of burlap, I'd recommend getting jute cord and wrapping it around the pipe like a cat scratching post. Mine liked that quite a bit.

Obviously you live somewhere that growing conditions are optimal if you had one that big essentially growing wild.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Restoring old and neglected apricot trees. Help!
We moved into a new home in the middle of last summer...
monibucky
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
Getting rid of grape vines.
Is there something other than using a chemical to get...
marylmi
Blueberries on a slope, how to grade soil?
Hey everyone, I was planting blueberries on a sloped...
towsonite
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Sponsored Products
Chinese Dragons and Lotus Flower Gold Cushion Cover
Overstock.com
Dragon Olympic Sail Racer Model
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Dragon Design Bamboo Blinds - 48 Inch, Width - 48 Inches
$49.00 | Bellacor
Terrace Dragonfly Terracotta Rectangular: 4 Ft. 11 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$99.75 | Bellacor
Hampton Bay Dining Furniture Beverly 5-Piece Patio Sectional Seating Set with
Home Depot