Help with my newly planted Concord grape vine

wilsocnApril 12, 2013

Hi all

I just planted a Concord grape vine in my back yard following planting device that I found online and heavy rains have made the soil sink about 2 inches where I planted the vine. I am not sure if I should pull it up and replant, add more soil around the base to level it up or just leave it be. My soil is heavy on the clay so I am worried about this bowl shape trapping too much water. Will it cause problems with rot or fungus if I pile up more soil around the base of the stem?

I read one article that said something about not putting dirt past the crown. I am not really sure what that is but I did find a bottom 'node' on the plant which was just about level with the soil it was originally packed in. That is what I planted level with the existing soil in my yard before it sank.

He are pictures of my planting hole as well as the node as I call it.

I also have a few questions about pruning the grape vine. I am not interested in optimum grape production because this is just as much for looks as for its deliciousness but I do want a strong vine. I will let it fruit next season but in the meantime I am not sure what i should trim (if anything).

Lastly, this vine is growing incredibly fast. It seems like every day there is very noticeable difference. Is it already putting out grapes?

Any suggestions with correcting or not correcting its planting depth would be great as well as pruning advice. BTW the vine has only been the ground for three days if that makes any difference at all as to where I should pull it up or not.

Thanks everyone

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

You could dig it up and add more soil. But grapes are just rooted cuttings so the part below ground is all rooted stem. I don't see where adding more soil on top would cause any issues.

Those are tiny grapes clusters expanding. I'd cut them off this year. You can leave a few next year if it grows well this year.

I'd cut it back to that bottom strong cane and tie it off to the stake for support. The young canes are prone to blowing out until they harden off. Wrap the brown part around the stake as well or tie it to the stake. Make loose ties so as not to strangle the shoots and remove the tie when it's no longer needed.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Getting rid of grape vines.
Is there something other than using a chemical to get...
marylmi
pls recommend
Experienced Fruit Tree Growers, I suspect that all...
thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
Help understanding huckleberries
I recently enjoyed some huckleberry pie and was pleasantly...
pushindirt
Blue Berries-acid soil and other vegetable plants
I have been growing blue berry plants intermixed with...
RonCz
Sponsored Products
Concrete Anchor Set For Alpa Mushroom/2, Adegan Ple Fix by SLV
$124.00 | Lumens
Empire Scrolls Rug 3'6" x 5'6" - BLACK
$449.00 | Horchow
Mikko Flatweave Rug 8' x 10' - GRAY
$849.00 | Horchow
Hughes Sectional with Bumper (2 piece) - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Lithonia Lighting 2-Light White Fluorescent Lighting Strip MNS8 2 32 120 RE M6
$24.97 | Home Depot