Need help with watering requirements for new fruit trees

NorthGa7A(7b)April 28, 2012

Just installed a drip irrigation system for my new 1 and 2 year apples, peaches and plums I planted in February. I am a newbie fruit grower and need help with how to water please.

Assuming no rain, how many gallons do my new trees need per week this spring and summer? What should my watering schedule be - once a week or more often? As the trees get larger, how do I determine how much more water they need?

Already near drought conditions here in north Georgia - clay soil is "as dry as a popcorn fart" as my wife likes to say, so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

With drip you might want to water 2-3 times a week. Apply about one gallon per square foot per week total. So if your tree canopy is about 10ft by 10ft apply 100 gallons per week if there is no rain. That's about 1.6 inches per week. Subtract off any rainfall. If your peaches end up big and not sweet enough cut back to about 2/3 and see how that goes.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 7:00PM
NorthGa7A(7b)

Thank you very much fruitnut for the helpful advise, I have been overwatering which is I have read can result in lots of problems.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 3:30PM
alan haigh

I didn't want to answer your question because I know nothing about how drip systems affect the volume required, but I do know that a lot depends on weather conditions- humidity and wind, the length of days at the time, and soil conditions(the soil resevoir is usually based on texture but steepness, hardpans and outcrops can matter even more).

If the soil allows a lot of water to absorb rapidly, you'll get a lot more bang for the buck from heavy rains and need less water in between. If an area is sheltered from winds a lot less evaporation occurs. Some soils block easy absorption of water as well, for complicated reasons not pertaining to texture.

Point is, there is no recipe that works for all conditions and you are well served to get your hands in the soil to determine moisture level- or use a moisture meter- at least until you get a handle on your specific conditions.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 6:01AM
More Discussions
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
newly planted blueberries turning red
I planted 15 blueberries, 8 biloxi and 7 star. 10 of...
tugagardener
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Goji Berries, where to buy seeds?
Hey, so this is my second year gardening, last year...
M3rc_Nate
Sponsored Products
Coastal Light Blue Rectangular: 5 ft. x 8 ft. Rug
$399.00 | Bellacor
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Hampton Bay Mercer 52 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan 14925
Home Depot
Tibetan Leaves Rug 8' x 10' - BEIGE
$6,279.00 | Horchow
Avery Bed Multicolor - RN711
$639.99 | Hayneedle
FontanaArte | 2198 Table Lamp
YLiving.com
8-foot Prelit Artificial Woodriff Spruce Tree with 750 Warm Lights and Metal Sta
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™