Thinning Correctly

blackrag(6A East PA)April 23, 2012

When thinning stone or pome fruit, common sense tells me that when making the choice at a particular spot, you leave the fruitlet hanging below the branch and thin fruit above the branch? Any reason to leave fruit on top of the branch? I have fruit set on my 2nd & 3rd year trees and am super excited... Thanks, Chad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olpea(zone 6 KS)

I thin the smaller fruit whether on the top or bottom. If it looks like a branch will touch the ground at harvest (with the weight of the fruit - in other words lower branches) then I remove the ones on the bottom so they don't touch the ground when the branch does.

For branches higher in the canopy, I remove the fruits on top of the branches more often because I've noticed a little more bird damage on fruits on top of the branch. I think it's more convenient for birds to perch on a branch and peck at a fruit on top of the branch. They don't have to bend down much.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 1:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

Personally I don't know that it matters all that much if you thin on top or bottom, but I do know that a lot of folks will purposely thin all the fruit towards the bottoms of branches because they tend to be more shaded by leaves on the same branch and thus might not color up as well as fruits on the sides or top of the branches.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™