late fall plantings

ztomApril 14, 2014

I planted 2 surefire cherries, a blue byrd plum and a geneva mirabelle plum around Dec 1st last year. The nursery I ordered them from prefers to ship stone fruits in the spring, but I was impatient and figured winter would be mild. Wow was I wrong! I really didn't think those trees would make it, and I've already lost a 3 year old reliance peach and intrepid peach this spring. As of today, however, I see a decent amount of green poking through on the cherry tree buds, and a little bit on the plums. It's still early, but I was pretty impressed. I have poorly drained soil (I think that is what did the peaches in) and planted these four trees on the highest mounds I've done yet and mulched then really well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

I move trees bare root every fall until the ground freezes and most species take it fine. Mulberries often suffer some die back, though. When I started doing this my nursery was in a Z5 and we had lots of very cold winters, even a test one where it got well below -20.

I may have lost two tiny "sleeping eye" grafted peaches this winter, though. I stuck them in my vegetable garden and forgot to mulch them (they were an unexpected gift). The freeze- thaw pitched them out of the cracked soil. One of them was still mostly in the ground, so I'm hopeful.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 6:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlieboring

I planted an angel red and a Russian pomegranite if the fall. They did not make it through the winter in Northern Virginia. I planted an apache blackberry bush and it also looks dead. Alternatively, I overwintered a natchez blackberry in a pot in an unheated shed and just transplanted it to its permenent location and it appears okay.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 6:47AM
More Discussions
plum truble
I have a gold plum tree aprox 5years old. It has always...
john zone 8
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
Jujube plants from roger
I would like to have jujube shanxi li. I know roger...
bunti
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™