Pots That Look Like Rocks

upnortdareh(Zone 4)January 18, 2009

I was surfing around and found these. Would anybody have and Idea about how to make these molds? Take a look they are really neat . Its all wholesale so I don't think it would be advertising, I hope Thanks Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: stone art gardens

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcia7439

Bill
I tried once. I made a silicone mold...
I took 100% silicon and covered 1/2 of a very well cleaned stone I had. I oiled the stone and the caulk came off easily, but I didn't go high enough on the stone, and it made a very shallow planter. I planted sedums in it and they have been growing.
I filled the mold completely, and before it was set 100%, I carved out the inside. It was way too shallow! and I didn't put in any holes in the bottom for drainage. Felt the Tufa would be porous enough.
Try on a larger stone, and I bet you would have fantastic results!
Marcia

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 3:31PM
Fleur(z5)

Thanks for the link, Bill. I'm inspired. If the weather ever warms up and the snow goes away, here's what I'm going to experiment with. I'll crumple up a 5- or 10-lb sugar sack lined with plastic wrap or a plastic grocery sack. I'll put a plastic covered cork or something appropriate for drainage in the bottom. I'll put the mix on the bottom and center a plastic covered pot over the bottom and add mix around the sides. When I've got the mix to the height I want, I'll further crumple the sack holding everything to create an uneven surface. When it's set, I'll peel off the paper and plastic and hope for the best.

Bookmark   January 22, 2009 at 11:54AM
upnortdareh(Zone 4)

I finally broke down and ordered the Prop makers mold handbook. We will figure this one out!! Thanks Bill

Bookmark   January 23, 2009 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Lichens on vinyl fence
LICHENS on VINYL FENCE: HELP! Having always wanted...
jimmie
Re-inforce hypertufa trough
Whats the best way to strengthen a large trough. I...
Syncmanatl
Using Flagstone for imprinting
Hi all! I have been reading, reading! I want to make...
CEFreeman
From a Halloween mask to a Green-man
This garden green-man was made in two pieces one from...
tehuti
Stone Circle
I have mostly lurked here, only posting a couple of...
Myrdin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™