space to mow between rows

mikect05April 5, 2014

Hi, we just bought a new home with a few nice open acres, so we will be planting rows of blueberries, blackberries and raspberries, with elderberries to follow. We will also be planting some fruit trees.

The field is quite soggy many times during the year, so I plan on building up the rows to keep the roots dryer.
My question is what spacing should I have between rows? I want to be able to drive either a 5' or 6' finish mower between the rows. so basically if I leave 6.5' between rows that would be good, but how wide should my beds be so that they don't overgrow into my rows and inhibit me from fitting the mower through.
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I'd say 12 ft row spacing minimum and perhaps 15ft better. That would make a roughly 6-8ft raised bed. In soggy soil raised beds are a good idea.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 12:16PM
mikect05

thanks is that a good spacing for blackberries, blueberries and raspberries?

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 2:42PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

That's about how wide my berry plants have been. I guess if they were really thorny you might want narrower to reach the middle. But with pruning and training you can make anything in the 4-8ft range work.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 3:27PM
mikect05

yea I was thinking our triple crown blackberries were about 5' wide, wouldn't really want them much wider than that because they grew so tall. Raspberries I am thinking of keeping them around 5' as well for the thorns. I ordered some raspberry plants and some root stock, any suggestion on how far apart to plant my raspberries? I am thinking of spacing them maybe 6' so that I can fill in later.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™