how much to thin an apple

jimfnc(7aNC)April 14, 2012

I have 3 apple trees, two set fruit for first time. All planted in Jan 09 on B9 fwarf rootstock (Aunt Rachel, Newtown Pippin, Roxbury Russet).

The small clusters have 2 - 4 apples each, and multiple clusters per tree. Branches not very thick so I assumed I need to thin them. Is there some limit to what a young tree should support? I really only started taking care of them this fall. These are same trees I posted picture of vole damage a month or so ago.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
megamav(5a - NY)

I am inexperienced, but if it were me, i'd make a judgement call based on scaffold and branch thickness. I'd thin to 1 fruit per cluster and keep fruit off of the end of branches to prevent the branches from being pulled down too much.
Newtown Pippin is a large appled IMO for B9, so, I'd definitely start with 1 per cluster with that. Smaller fruit, you could get away with 2 per cluster.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 9:48PM
marknmt

I think a good rule of thumb is to thin down to the king apple in each cluster, and allow no two apples to be so close that you can touch them both with the same hand.

This is hard for me to do- I don't like to take them off. But you really need to, and the sooner the better.

Apples are pretty supple; I doubt you'll have problems with limbs breaking if you thin to one per cluster. But thinning further is good for other things: easier to bag if you bag apples, larger apples, less tendency on the part of the tree to biennielism, more growth going into the tree instead of into little fruits, sprays coating the fruit better if they don't touch, and so on.

Good luck,

M

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 9:59PM
ltilton

Your instinct is right. Thinning is even more important for a very young tree. One per cluster may be good for established trees, but a younger tree fruiting for the first time shouldn't be asked to bear more than a couple fruits on the smaller branches.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 10:21PM
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

I agree with all the comments above. Just as a rough guideline, for an average vigor tree, I think it's safe to let a 3-year-old tree produce roughly 15 apples without stunting growth. But if the tree seems less vigorous or sort of a weakling, then bring this down to 5 to 10 apples. In no case would more than 20 apples be appropriate for such a young tree unless perhaps it had already been growing for several years at the nursery before you transplanted it.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 9:34PM
alan haigh

These are 3 year old trees on fully dwarfing root stock. If they've grown well they should be able to handle a normal crop with an apple every 5 or 6". It really depends on the relative vigor of the trees but in commercial orchards they would be in production mode by the third year.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 5:27AM
Randy31513(Georgia 8b)

Remember too to look for damaged apple first to remove.

Also start now to keep your orchard floor clean and reducing disease and insects by putting the thinned apples in a bucket not on the ground.

Randy

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 8:08AM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™