bare root blackberries

sara82lee(8a - SE Va)April 28, 2013

I bought four bare root raspberries (2 each from 2 different places) and two blackberries (1 each from 2 different places). This is my first experience with bare root plants (although I also bought seven bare root roses this spring and all are putting out leaves!). I put the berries in the ground about six weeks ago, but didn't put anything special on the roots. All of my raspberries have started to put out leaves, but I haven't seen any signs of life from either blackberry. They just look like sticks in the ground. Do blackberries take longer to "wake up" in the spring than raspberries do? Should I just have a bit more patience, or are they probably dead?

Thanks! Sara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

Blackberries do take a lot longer. Raspberries are some of the first plants to leaf out in the spring. Blackberries are some of the last. Give it another month or more, I'm sure they're fine.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 10:40PM
jtburton

I have purchased at least 40-50 bareroot blackberry and raspberry plants in the last year and I generally see at least a 10-20% failure rate. The potted plants have all lived so far out of about 25 or so. Given your warmer climate, you should see something soon or I would see if you can get some replacements.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 10:51PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

That stick on blackberry plants called handle its used to plant the plant that all good for, but does give mark where plant is. on bare root blackberry first year they are slow to send out new growth from crown just like Rose I would give them 2 more months before make call them dead.
Planting crown 2 inches under ground is good method transplanting.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:11AM
sara82lee(8a - SE Va)

Thanks everybody. I'm definitely more hopeful now . . . I don't think I could get any replacements at this point, though perhaps my money back, but they weren't that expensive anyway. But it seems like it might be more likely than I thought that they aren't dead. I will wait awhile longer :)

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Help me choose fruit varieties to grow in NJ and nurseries
I have been reading some old posts regarding the fruit...
bemonkey Zone 7 South New Jersey
hard freeze coming & peach trees are blooming!
any tricks for saving the fruit?? this happened last...
rober49
Methusala date palm reproduces
Judean date http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/tree-grown-2000-year-old-seed-has-reproduced-180954746/?utm_source=facebook.com&no-ist...
canadianplant
Indoor Spring Start To Raspberries
Hi...under advisement from Cornell University, they...
Greenhorn2
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
Sponsored Products
Modern Fan Company | Ball Ceiling Fan
YLiving.com
Braided Area Rug: Brook Farm Burgundy 4' x 6'
Home Depot
Florence Style Loft Three-Seater Bench in Tan
$399.00 | LexMod
Richmond English Bronze Four Light Flush Mount with Clear Spectra Crystal
Bellacor
Houston Astros Root Beer Mug
$14.99 | zulily