Winter Moth

mrsg47(7)April 16, 2014

Just received my weekly report, from the head of Hort. from the Uni. of RI. She mentioned this am. that the Winter Moth eggs have started turning blue and that our first spray of insecticide should start in a week if not sooner. That said, question. . . My peaches (what will be left of the flower buds due to frost) will be opening within the next week. Is it wise to spray so soon? Mrs. G

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don555(3a)

If you've got insect issues, I think you want to get in at least one spraying before the buds open, a week ahead sounds good to me. Once the flowers open you won't want to spray again until petal drop unless you want to kill all the bees and other pollinating insects.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 2:37AM
alan haigh

I think you should spray on need and not by recipe for this pest. Isn't BT affective against winter moth? If so, you can wait to determine if there is infestation in your own trees before spraying. They should stop feeding as soon as they ingest BT and it will not harm the bees.

I get a little of this pest every year- they only affect the apples for me but I never spray them- there are usually plenty of flowers to spare it there are any, so the moths are helping me thin.

You might consider getting a good magnifying glass for the purpose and scout your trees for eggs. It is a good exercise for the serious home orchardist. You can't develop monitoring muscles without exercise.

Too much Triazide will create an imbalance in your orchard, for sure, and you will likely eventually pay for doing the easy thing and killing too many allies.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 8:09AM
mrsg47(7)

Thanks all! Mrs. G

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™