Resin vs. wood planters for fruit trees

heavens123April 28, 2013

I need to buy several planters for my community garden plot and am considering resin pots vs. store bought wood boxes. I will be planting bush cherries, blueberries and column apples.

I've never used wood boxes. Aesthetically, I would prefer them for this project and would want them to weather to a natural grey color. Plant health is most important, though, so a few questions: Do they need to be sealed on the inside? if so, with what (non-toxic)? How does a wood box affect water retention? Do you need to water plants in wood more than the same plant in resin? Do I line them with anything or just drill drainage holes? What about cold hardiness? I am in zone 6b and most everything I'm getting is much cold hardier than that. Should they be elevated off of the dirt of the garden plot? The boxes have legs but the resin pots do not.

Thanks for any input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrcaballus

I like to do a couple coats of linseed oil when I'm using wood. Coat it once, give it an hour, coat a second time, and after another hour or so, wipe off the excess with an old rag. You can even come back on a yearly basis and coat the exposed surfaces again. I have raised beds that I used a urethane on before I went to linseed oil. The urethane doesn't allow the wood to breathe, and causes a lot more cupping than the oiled wood does.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 11:28PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

I remember a post regarding this not too long ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Don't use wood containers for trees!

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 11:56PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Yeah..i got just a few years out of a whiskey barrel. Obviously whatever they do to them (burn them?) is all that was done to that, but it was completely rotted in the end and that is pretty thick oak. All that moisture/soil and then roots took their tool. I would either treat the wood or line it with something. Wood looks a heck of a lot better then plastic, but my feeling is that plastic will (should) last longer, unless it cracks or something.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 12:11AM
heavens123

milehighgirl: very helpful link, thanks. The containers I'm looking at would be cedar and not oak. I've seen plastic crack in my area as well, so I guess there are downsides to both.

Mr. Cabballus: I've read about using linseed oil before. Are you using it on the inside and outside or only the inside? I would want the outside to weather to a grey...would the oil on the outside prevent that?

Anyone know about whether watering is increased with wood?

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 11:12AM
mrcaballus

You want to use the linseed oil on every surface. You're trying to protect the wood and keep it from cupping. Don't worry, it'll weather juuuust fine.

Water requirements are going to be a function of construction, as much as material in my experience. Using a single slab of wood or resin will keep the soil damper than multiple slats which will allow more air in. The resin probably keeps a bit more moisture in, but in my experience, you're going to be watering daily or every other day no matter what. Bushes and small trees take up a lot of water.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Help, fuzzy scion wood
Hi all, I got apple scions from ARS last week and was...
zendog
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
Restoring old and neglected apricot trees. Help!
We moved into a new home in the middle of last summer...
monibucky
Sponsored Products
Gun Metal Check Metal 14-inch Planter (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Laura Ashley 74-inch Tall Onion Grass with Cattails in 16-inch Fiberstone Plante
Overstock.com
Planter Box: Round Resin Brunello Planter
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Animal Farm Planter
Lightology
Bird Garden Obelisk
Grandin Road
Bottom Up Hanging Air Plant Vessel
$18.99 | Dot & Bo
Leighton Garden Trellis
Grandin Road
Self Watering Liner Insert for Large Orangey Urn