What's eating my Pluots?

econ0003(10a CA / 8b CA)April 1, 2012

My Pluot trees have been pest free for the first couple of years with the exception of aphids occasionally.

This year something is eating holes in my Splash Pluots. Any ideas of what it might be? If you click on the first photo and zoom in it shows a worm poking its head out of the hole. I am not sure what it is.

Thanks,

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Boy, that sure looks like snail damage to me, Tom. Especially the top photo. Can you see any slime trails on the trunk or leaves? It also could be earwigs. They can do some significant damage to early stone fruit, too. Sluggo Plus will take care of both snails and earwigs, and it's safe to use (organic). It is a combination of iron phosphate and Spinosad. I've included a good site I often use to try to identify pests for my fruit and ornamentals. The link is specifically for plums/prunes, but there are links to all the stone/pome fruits, citrus, berries, grapes, nuts, etc.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Pests in the Garden - Plums & Prunes

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 11:28PM
econ0003(10a CA / 8b CA)

You are probably right Patty. I get the same type of damage on my peaches from snails. There wasn't any obvious slime or snails in my Pluot tree. I guess I'll have to take a closer look.

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 3:54AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

I know. I have a terrible issue in my yard with snails and slugs. I've got to get down to my walk & pick orchard and put down Sluggo at the base of all my trees. It's even worse with my citrus. I might try putting a copper wrap around the trunks or maybe some Tanglefoot. Not sure how effective Tanglefoot is with snails but worth a try.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 12:44PM
LizHH

Did you ever find out was eating your fruit. We just found a worm 1/2 in and out of the fruit. It is not snails or slug...it is some type of very thin small worm. Any ideas out there?

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 7:48PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

The worm can be the culprit or it can simply be a maggot that was deposited as an egg in the fruit that was already "opened up" by another critter like a snail.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 9:25PM
econ0003(10a CA / 8b CA)

I am pretty sure it was snail damage. It looks the same as snail damage I have had on other fruit trees. The worm in the picture was a single isolated case so I think it came afterwards.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 10:33PM
rasputinj

I am so happy to hear this, I have the same damage. I started worrying. On peaches the damage looks looks like the snail mowed down the fuzz, in a section. I was about to post the same pictures.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 1:13AM
More Discussions
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Carmine Jewel
So I've been fretting about my Early Richmond for a...
iowajer
Goji Berries, where to buy seeds?
Hey, so this is my second year gardening, last year...
M3rc_Nate
Lime Sulphur spray--I feel like I was just robbed by Hi-yield
I have no idea why Hi-yield (or maybe it's the sellers)...
dave_7b
Sponsored Products
Gaucho Steak Knife Set - Set of 4 - Pampas Life
$480.00 | HORNE
CozyClouds by DownLinens Billowy Clouds Mattress Pad
Overstock.com
15741BKT Textured Black 8.5 Watts Narrow Kichler LED Landscape Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
Richelieu Triple Chrome Bath Bar
$149.90 | Bellacor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Tayse Rugs Rugs Impressions Multi 5 ft. 3
Home Depot