Yellow leaves falling off orange tree

coday00April 6, 2011

I am having a heck of a time with an orange tree. The leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I think I have narrowed it down to either an iron deficiency or the roots are way too wet, but I am certainly no expert. I have pictures posted at:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theaceofspades(7 Long Island)

My potted Meyer Lemon stays nice and green all winter on the windowsill. Then all the leaves fall off [now] in the spring as the sun intensifies. In a month more branches will sprout and the whole plant will be green till next spring. Thats not all, the fruit take a looong time on the tree to mature.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 5:57AM
campv

Living most of my life in so. Caif. on a avacado and citrus ranch, I can tell buy the look that your soil may need a little help. Looks like clay I think. Your tree needs fertlizer. All the leaves look a little yellow they should be a nice med. green with some shine. Try some of those fertilizer stakes FOR CITRUS but don't over do. You can also try digging a larger watering basin area around the tree(out past the TREE drip line)with side banks around 2-3" high. Fill up the basin (hose) around the tree and see how long it takes the water to soak in. Could be not draining well. If it is draning well great, then the basin will fill up with the extra water from the drip system providing more water to the tree and you will need to water less. If it is draining badly then you will need to admin the soil. Hope some of this helps. Good luck

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 3:32PM
lnewport

Hi,

I grow Lemon Meyers, Kumquats, and Mexican Limes. Citrus trees are heavy feeders, they need a lot of nitrogen and potassium and micro nutrients such as magnesium. For my Lemon Meyers the best ratio is 5-1-3.

Also make sure the root ball isn't compact and the soil drains well around it. You can actually starve a tree if the root ball is still compact from being in a container.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
Wanted: Black Ice plum --) swap
Edit This post was edited by Gardening_Maestro on Tue,...
Gardening_Maestro
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™