Watermelon plant

wishihadagreenthumb(9)April 3, 2013

Hello everyone! I am new to this website as well as new to gardening! I have a question I was hoping someone could help me with- is it absolutely a MUST that I grow watermelon in the ground or is it possible to have a successful result with container growing? I'm willing to buy a large pot, it's just that the soil in my yard is very sandy and filled with oak roots. At help and advice is appreciated!! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Depends on what you call successful. If you are happy with the small melons, 5-10 lbs, you might get several from a potted plant. Maybe even one 20 lb melon. Beyond that you need a really big pot or a better way of farming your soil, probably more water and fertilizer.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 11:32PM
rayrose(8)

You will have very limited success growing watermelons in containers. If you must grow them in pots, it is better to purchase wider pots than deeper ones, as the roots will grow horizontally, not deeply. Since melons prefer sandy soil, which you already have, I would concentrate on getting rid of the tree roots.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 10:46AM
insteng

I would try to plant it in the ground. In sandy soil the watermelon should grow great. Try to find a area with the least amount of roots and full sun and see how it does. We planted about 5 acres in sandy soil around my place and ended up having to plow under about 1000 because we couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
Fahey Scion List
Wondering if someone had the ability to and time to...
kniles38
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Bushwhacker Blood
raspberries
Hello F&O people, I wonder if you could help me...
eatsivy
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
Sponsored Products
Jaipur Roccoco Chateau Transitional Floral Pattern Wool/Silk Tufted Rug - RRC025
$99.00 | Hayneedle
Fosters Point Basket With Wood And Boxwood Ball
Beyond Stores
Campania International Celine Cast Stone Planter - P-628-AL
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Jaipur Maroc Abdel Flat Weave Geometric Pattern Wool Handmade Rug Multicolor - R
$58.00 | Hayneedle
Forever Green Art Romantic Notions
Beyond Stores
Jane Seymour Peach Roses 14H in. Silk Flower Arrangement - JSWP20402N-PC
$130.00 | Hayneedle
Park Avenue Chandelier by Trend Lighting
$1,550.00 | Lumens
Jaipur Barcelona I-O Hoja Abstract Pattern Blue Indoor/ Outdoor Rug
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™