grafting apple trees?

Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6(Indiana Zone 5/6)April 9, 2013

I would like to try my hand at grafting some apple trees. I work at an apple orchard and I dug up some suckers. I'm assuming that they will work as root stock. What do you all think? Would it be a good idea to let my little rootstocks get established before I graft into them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
applenut_gw

Now's the perfect time to graft them. You can leave the ones in the largest pots for a year, the rest will outgrow the pot this season.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 12:06AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Let them sit for about 2 weeks until you see sprouting out, ...then graft.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 1:20AM
cousinfloyd

I've had poorer percentage takes on recently transplanted stock, but you might as well try this year, and if they don't take you can try again next year. Another way to do things might be to graft onto the sprouts first, then transplant this fall. As far as timing, I'd expect right now would be the best time to graft in 6a Indiana. Konrad, why would you wait?

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 5:03AM
daemon2525(5)

Where do you live Matt? Was just wondering if you wre close enough to use some scion I have left in the fridge.
Ft Wayne here.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 9:07AM
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6(Indiana Zone 5/6)

Yes, I would agree that right now is the time to graft.
Two of the sprouts in the smaller pots still have their terminal buds and are in green tip right now. They have already started to show green even though it has only been a few days since I transplanted them.

daemon2525: I live in Trafalgar. I have access to many apple varieties at the orchard where I work, although I am interested in Elstar. Do you happen to have that one? or do you know where I could get it? I have a friend who is wanting to plant Elstar and she can't find them. I thought I might graft a few for her. What scion do you have?

The past few days have really made all the buds pop! We even have a few in tight cluster!

I'm taking photos each day of the progression of apple buds. Here's what I have so far, I think all these buds are from Turley Winesap:

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 10:48PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

>> Konrad, why would you wait?To my understanding, just transplanted,... transplant shock, there will be a delay in growth, graft when you see leafing out,..more vigor and a faster take on scion.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 1:27AM
alan haigh

What CS said is a good point- best to establish grafts on trees not suffering transplant shock as the new shoot's growth will suffer as much as rest of tree. But I don't know anything about starting trees from acquired root stock, although the commercial growers don't move the trees before grafting them after root stocks have grown a year in the fields, or at least most of the season if they do budding.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 5:50AM
daemon2525(5)

Ah, I see.... Sorry I don't have anything special. I was just hoping to find someone REAL close to me to share my hobby with.

I know where you're at though!!!! I drove down there just to see that Orchard. It was fall and cold and I still made my wife walk about 2 miles around that BIG orchard. It's a little out of the way though. I had to stop at the Gas station to get directions and they said they get so many people ask for directions that they already had directions drawn on paper and copies to hand out... LOL

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™