Advice on pruning multigraft peach tree with fruit

simon_growApril 6, 2012

Hello everyone,

I have a multigraft peach tree that is about 7 feet tall and it has some marble sized peaches on it. I just purchased this tree and it is very vertical in its growth habit. I was wondering if I should prune it now or wait until summer or winter. I'm willing to sacrifice this years fruit if necessary. I've read that I should prune it to have an open center which means I will have to prune off many of its branches.

When I planted the tree last week, it was severely potbound so I had to scratch the root area and destroyed some of the peripheral roots in the process. I also pruned off a few small poorly positioned branches and removed 70% of the fruit it was holding.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on when I should prune. Are there any good sites with pics on how to prune? I found many sites but

Most talk about pruning whips or trees that that were already partially trained with an open center. I would say I have a third year tree that was neglected in pruning. Thanks in advance!

Simon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

Hello Simon,
Dave Wilson Nursery came to my mind while reading your post.They have both written and video information available. Brady

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 12:51AM
More Discussions
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™