Evans Cherry spring harvest...

Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)April 23, 2014

suckers,..be aware, if unchecked, you can soon have a cherry jungle,.. when growing on their own roots.

About 3 year old suckers, it was tough work.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don555(3a)

Interesting. How old was the parent tree? I haven't seen any suckers from my tree, but it's still fairly young.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 12:16AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

About 20 years old,..it took about 12 years for it to sucker from wee tiny ones, about 1/4 of what you see.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 1:26AM
JesseSt(5a)

You could start your own nursery! Funny because I've been trying to propagate this one from dormant cuttings, bottom heat seems to be doing the trick.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 6:08AM
clarkinks(5b)

Konrad that's awesome so you are going to plant out another row today? Do you grow carmine Jewell? I was wondering if at some point they will start suckering? My clove currents are suckering like that this year and my Canadian bounty plums.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 7:02AM
northernmn(3/4)

Konrad, It looks like you were able to separate the suckers with almost all of their roots intact. How did you go about saving so many of the roots?

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 7:21AM

I took advantage of spring thaw and on top of that it was a rainy
soggy day.

>> Do you grow carmine Jewell?Got one plant, only 2 years old, I don't think any of the UOS sour cherries will sucker as bad as Evans, I believe Evans is the most vigorous of all, seen suckers as far as 20 feet away!

I have enough, been given them away in bundles in my neighborhood, now I try to sell them in Kijiji for $5.00 ea. local, you can list them for free...link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kijiji

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 10:07AM
Johnnysapples

That's a lot of cherry trees! To bad you cant grow more varieties. You could graft rows of different types. Do you still have a lot of room left on your property to plant more fruit trees? Did you dig to plant them or just to try to get rid of the suckers?

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 6:57PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Konrad-

I've got an Evans here..same sucker madness. I'm always mowing over them. Amazing how thick they come up out of the ground/how far away from the tree.

Question: Is Evans compatible with sweet cherries? Not sure if you've tried that. Could be a good source for rootstock.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 8:04PM

I got two rows and most suckers get mowed down, .in the row I let them be for now. Yes, you can graft sweet onto,..not in my climate, [nothing hardy yet], been trying, but I started some other pie cherries from the University of Saskatchewan.

>>Did you dig to plant them or just to try to get rid of the suckers?I made the effort to dig and get most of the roots for better transplant.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 1:25AM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™