Apricot Tree Problem

gstrout123April 1, 2013

My apricot trees which have been in the ground for three years are starting to leaf out. The first year they grew great but had a bad case of shot-hole fungus toward the end of the first year. During the winter I sprayed them with a copper fungicide at Christmas and in February during the dormant period. The following year it leafed out and grew poorly and once again had a good deal of shot-hole fungus by the end f the season. During the winter, I painted the entire tree with a combination of a neem oil and fungicide to try to get the shot-hole fungus under control. The fungicide was white hence the look of the trees - see attached picture. On one of the trees the new leaves are coming out fine although they are already showing signs of shot-hole fungus. On the others, about a week or two after the new leaves come out, they are shriveling up and turning brown on the limbs. Any idea what might be causing this ? I haven't done anything further to the trees beyond painting them with the oil and fungicide in December.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

The tree probably suffered too much and is dead. Several years of a bad disease can sap all the energy. RIP.

For best control of shot-hole, spray copper right at leaf fall and right when leaves are about to come out. Skip the neem, its not going to help. I would also spray dilute copper through shuck split; dilute copper is around a fifth of the dormant amount.

Scott

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
Prime-Ark Freedom Chill Hours
For anyone wondering, Prime-Ark Freedom appears to...
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Carmine Jewel
So I've been fretting about my Early Richmond for a...
iowajer
What is happening to my Apple Tree? Fixes?
We purchased this tree and planted it a year ago. ...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Plum tree
My plum tree has new growth. I remember a couple of...
tim45z10
Sponsored Products
Verbena & Bergamot Zest Candle
$14.99 | zulily
Clementine & Mango Tarragon Candle
$14.99 | zulily
Classique Square Sconce by Stonegate Designs
$226.00 | Lumens
Runner Rug: Larvik Dark Chocolate 2' 3" x 8'
Home Depot
Portmeirion Pomona Classics Romantic Breakfast Cup and Saucer - Set of 6 - 49050
$210.00 | Hayneedle
Bruck | Queeny 120V Down Pendant Light
$154.50 | YLighting
Accent Rug: Larvik Papyrus 2' x 2' 9"
$58.97 | Home Depot
Royal Teak Accent Table - WF5979/DC
$329.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™