How to reuse rootstock with failed graft

curtis(5)May 15, 2013

I did my first grafts this year and lost some. I had done saddle grafts on apples, pears, and peaches. I had some fails on all, especially peaches. These are all in 1.5 or 2 gal pots and the root stocks are growing from the buds below the grafts. the grafts are 4-5" above the soil. So what do I do from here with each type? chip/ bud graft in the fall?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

CCkw,

Do you have anymore scionwoods left? If yes, then you can re-graft them now. If no, then just find some permanent spots and plant them out. In the fall, you can chip/bud graft or wait until next spring and re-graft them. One pointer, with stone fruits, just make sure you have a period of 6 or 7 days of of warm weather with temp in the 70"s degree for them to take. Like all grafts, aftercare is important to rub off all new grow below the union because you want all the saps to flow to the scionwoods. Good luck.

Tony

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 1:42PM
curtis(5)

I have a question on the basic grafts I did. I did saddle graft, then wrapped with a ribber band. Is it possible to be too tight with the rubber band and cause a failure?

I know I did my grafts too early, but don't want to miss any other causes.

(I do have a few apple scions left to retry, but not the others)

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 2:13PM
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

CCKW,

Apple and pear are easy to take. You can use a simple cleft graft but to make sure at least one side is match but both side is better. I then use a strip of saran wrap and go around the union twice and then the black electrical tape go up and down a couple of times tightly. Just remember to rub off all the new shoots below the union every couple of days until no more new shoots.

Tony

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 3:46PM
marknmt

I think it is possible to wrap too tightly with the rubber bands, choking the rootstock; I'm pretty sure I've done it.

I've been playing with a rootstock that sounds similar to yours. I bought an apricot on Marianna and the tree winterkilled, but numerous shoots came up from the root. I separated the best three and bud/chipped to them last summer. One of them is doing well now; the others failed but the shoots are still alive. I'll repeat the experiment in August.

Failing with peach is not uncommon! I've only ever had one apricot take, and I gather they're pretty much the same challenge. Pear is easiest, and cleft works well. Whip and tongue on pear is a great choice. Chips take easily. Apple is nearly as easy as pear, and plum the most doable of stone fruit, but still touchier than the pomes.

I think Tony's advice is very good.

Good luck,

Mark

You might look up "stooling rootstock" for more on the subject.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
how to prevent fruit tree borers
I've lost a few trees (peach and plum) to borers and...
jbclem
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™