Paskistan Fruiting Mulberry Hardiness

fruity123(7b)May 23, 2014

I have found conflicting results on the internet about the hardiness of Pakistan fruiting mulberry tree(just to clarify, it is the mulberry with the very long fruit). Some websites say it can only go down to 30f but some say it can go down to -25f. I live in Vancouver BC so it rarely goes below 10f. Can I grow the Pakistan fruiting mulberry here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

fruity,
I'm thinking there are a number of mulberries floating around out there that are called 'Pakistan' - whether or not they are the 'real' one, is another thing altogether.

IIRC, Mike McConkey at Edible Landscaping is the one who initially imported it.
According to Dr. AJ Bullard, the long-time NAFEX mulberry expert, in Islamabad, Pakistan, where it originated, the lowest recorded temperature is 28F. So... is it hardier than that? I don't know - but when I planted one, many years ago, I followed Dr. Bullard's recommendation and planted it with the graft union below ground level. It froze back to the ground 3 years in a row, but resprouted - and would grow 10 ft or more - but never fruited for me, here in southern west-central KY; so, I took it out.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™