Quince tree not bearing

neptune24May 11, 2012

In the fall of 2010, I planted a quince tree that was about 8 feet tall, but the trunk was less than an inch thick. It may have grown a foot or so since then. It had some galls last year, which I tried to pinch off. It has had a few this year as well, but seemingly fewer than last year. Anyway, about a month ago, the tree had lots of flowers on it. However, it doesn't appear that there is any fruit growing on the tree. (It didn't bear last year either.) Does it take years and years before quince trees start to bear? Thanks for any info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

It will probably bear next year. I have a quince I planted in 2010 and it set two fruits this year, so it did "barely bear".

Scott

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 9:02AM
armyofda12mnkeys(7a, Philly, PA)

Do 'self-fertile' trees like Quinces still need pollination from a bee to pollinate it from another flower on the same tree?

Just curious as this year was unusually warm early spring, and maybe some of the bees weren't out pollinating yet in early April?

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 1:36PM
larry_gene

No bees on my quince tree--they bloom too early here for bees to be around--still makes plenty of fruit--no other quince trees around for 1/2 mile.

Give the Neptune tree a couple of more years.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 11:21PM
neptune24

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful responses. OK, I'll take the advice Julie Andrews gave out in "The Sound of Music":

Just wait...a year...or two. ;)

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 7:22AM
gonebananas_gw

Only a few "eating" quinces are going to do OK in 8a in Georgia so keep an eagle-eye out for fireblight.

Many ornamental quinces (different genera) do fine and a few have edible fruit, though mainly for jelly.

I have "Orange" quince, which has survived the prevalence of fireblight. It is possibly the most common eating quince for this climate.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 9:13AM
neptune24

Thanks, gonebananas. My quince is Cydonia oblonga--don't know if that helps. So far, it doesn't seem to have any fire blight (just some galls). However, I Googled fire blight, and the pictures look EXACTLY like what I have on my 20-year-old pear trees, and also (to a lesser extent) on some of my apple trees. (I thought it was just our drought.) What can be done about fire blight?

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 10:44PM
neptune24

Just bumping this back up. So is fire blight curable?

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™